We had a balmy eighty degrees weather last week, and grilled chicken was in order. adapted from Bobby Flay’s buffalo style grilled chicken recipe, this spicy chicken is full of flavor and is one of out favourite grilled recipes. We enjoyed it along with bread rolls, salad and raw mango rice.
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp canola oil
2 garlic cloves minced
2 tbsp achiote paste or 5 tbsp ancho chilli powder
1 tbsp cayenne powder
1/2 cup hot sauce
1 tbsp honey
2 chicken breasts
1. Season chicken breasts with 1 tbsp achiote paste or 1 tbsp ancho chilli powder, 1 tbsp oil and salt. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat grill to medium and keep some area on the grill for indirect heat.
3. Heat remaining oil and butter in a saucepan over low heat.
4. Add garlic and cook for a minute.
5. Stir in remaining achiote paste/ancho chilli powder and add hot sauce, honey, cayenne pepper and salt. Warm it for a minute.
6. Grill chicken on medium on direct heat till one side is nicely charred.
7. Flip the chicken and move it to indirect heat, and brush a generous amount of prepared sauce.
8. cover and cook for about five minutes. Brush with some more sauce, cover and cook for five more minutes.
9. Flip the chicken, brush the sauce and cook for one more minute. Check to see if the chicken is cooked in the center.
10. Remove from Grill.
8 slices of white bread
3 boiled potatoes, peeled and mashed
1 tsp minced ginger and garlic
1 tbsp minced green chillies
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a saucepan.
2. Add ginger, garlic and green chillies.
3. Add turmeric, salt and mashed potatoes. Keep aside.
4. Trim crust off the bread slices, and roll the slices a little thinner with a rolling-pin.
5. Sprinkle water on a slice of bread to make it pliable.
6. Heap two tablespoons of potato filling in the center of a slice, and cover it up folding all the sides and sealing it well with water. Do the some for all the remaining slices.
7. Heat old in a wok or kadhai, and fry the rolls till golden brown.
Small bag of mixed lettuce / or shred two different types of lettuce – about 4 cups
1 chopped tomato
1 cup of sliced cucumber
1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapeno
Drizzle olive oil and red wine vinegar.
sprinkle salt, crushed red pepper flakes, dried basil leaves.
Raw Mango Rice
2 cups cooked rice.
1 cup shredded raw mango
1 tsp chana dal, 1 tsp urad dal soaked in little water.
2 tbsp oil
1 green chilli chopped fine
1 tbsp peanuts
1/2 tsp turmeric power
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Pinch of asafoetida
1 sprig of curry leaves
1. mix mango with rice.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. When oil is hot add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When mustard seeds start crackling, add asafoetida and turmeric.
3. Add green chillies, curry leaves, peanuts, drained chanal and urad dal and stir well.
4. Pour the seasonings on rice.
5. add salt to taste.
See the absence of condiments. Nothing extra was needed.